Recruitment and Selection
Qualifications and attributes
We want to recruit trainee teachers who have the potential to be outstanding in the classroom. You will embark on a personalised training programme, which has been designed to meet your needs and to support you in order for you to be an outstanding teacher. We are looking for people who meet the following criteria:
- A degree (2:1 preferred but at least 2.2) or equivalent
- GCSE at C grade or above in English Language, Mathematics (or standard equivalent) and a Science
- If you do not currently work in a school, for example as a Teaching Assistant, although you do not have to have had experience in a Primary classroom before you apply, it will help you to understand the role and prepare for interview if you are able to get some voluntary experience. We can facilitate schools in which to gain volunteer experience for Aspirer applicants.
You must have:
- Commitment to a career in teaching
- Effective communication skills including use of written and spoken English
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Leadership potential
- Ability to relate to and engage with young people
- A range of positive personal characteristics including flexibility, communication, independence, initiative and resilience
- Ability to explain concepts clearly
- Strong subject knowledge
- A sense of humour
We will not be offering "salaried" courses in 2021/2022.
Click HERE section to go to the Department for Education site that gives information about the finance available to applicants.
We have a rigorous recruitment and selection procedure. We select our Associate Teachers not only by seeing whether they meet the academic criteria, but also on: their passion for teaching all learners; subject knowledge and whether they have the aspirations to be an outstanding and inspirational teacher in and out of the classroom.
Once you have applied, you may be offered an interview. If a face to face interview, you will be asked to:
- Facilitate a classroom activity for between 20 - 30 minutes
- Interview with the panel
We may carry out online interviews where you will be asked to plan the activity and talk the panel through your ideas.